Sunday, January 01, 2006

walkabout

Let's take a break and I'll take you on a walking tour of my "backyard", beautiful Balboa Park in San Diego. I live 3 blocks away, so we'll have time for you to grab a jacket, it's kind of chilly after last night's rains and mist. We'll walk up over the bridge and into the Prado first. There's the spire and dome over ther at the Museaum of Man, one of the most well known vistas in San Diego.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here we are at my favorite favorite spot in the park, the Japanese Friendship Garden.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Looks like it's closed for New Year's Day though. Well, I'll have to bring you back another time, just to show you this part of the beautiful park. Here's a little sneak peek through the fence though, at the Wisteria Pagoda.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, the bell tower over at the spire just rang, sounds like it's 1:00. I'm hungry, how about you? The Friendship Garden may be closed, but the Tea Pavillion looks open! I'm going to have the Teriyaki Salmon Bowl and a cup of Cherry Sakura Green Tea and Red Bean Daifuku. How about you?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Okay, now that we're all full and sleepy... let's go walk. Look, the clouds are beginning to clear, and it sounds like something is going on over at the Organ Pavillion. Can you hear everyone clapping? Let's walk over.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hey, there's someone playing the big old pipe organ! Crikey that thing is loud!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

While we're over on this end of the park, let's go over to one of my favorite walks for a sunny day, Palm Canyon. This place is so beautiful on a sunny day, nice and cool.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There's the path down, but it looks kind of muddy today after the rain. Let's save that one for another time too. Wish you could've seen this place this summer, those trees were full of big heavy fronds of bannanas. The squirrels here are well fed, trust me!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Let's cross over this way and go through the hedge garden. Kind of sparse right now for the winter, but look up there... looks like blue skies coming today at least.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Okay, this way now... off the beaten path. This is another one of my favorite spots. You might miss it for the bigger gardens and museums around here. Just past the Zorro Garden over here, now back this way. Watch out, kind of muddy back here. There we are! The Lovers! My friend Pedro was the one to show me this place, make sure to keep it secret, it's pretty special. Those two trees, they're probably a couple of the oldest ones in the park. So big, so beautiful.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And here's why they're called The Lovers. See how their roots are all intertwined and overflowing this rock wall, like a waterfall? Still holding hands after all these many years.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Okay lets head back up to the path. Looks like the fountain is off for cleaning. Wow, you're just going to have to come back and visit another time I guess. But hey, check out some of the details on the frescos over at the Balboa House on the promenade...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Okay, let's duck inside the portico here and walk over to another of my favorites. (Can you tell how much I love this place? Any wonder why I ended up moving to this neighborhood?)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There it is, the Arboretum and Greenhouse. Again, closed. And the lotus' and lillies are all out of bloom for the winter, but you can come back in spring and this place looks like a monet painting, I'm telling you!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And hey! Look over here, still *some* flowers in bloom here. San Diego seems to have something blooming all year round. These Birds of Paradise over here by the fountain bloom all year round!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There goes the bell spire again. 2:30 already? See how time flies out here? Let's go see some of the sculptures across the way, outside the Mingei Museum and we'll call it a day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There's The Poet and The Muse, and over there The Dragon. We've caught them at a good time. Usually, all the other kids are climbing all over them. Today, we've got 'em all to ourselves!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Check out some of the detail on the mosaics!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well my friend, I need to be getting back home. Thanks for coming out with me today! Before we part, and before the batteries on my digital camera die out though, let's leave a little chalk drawing for the people who might walk past this afternoon.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That quote by Jack Kornfield seems to speak volumes for me at the moment, given some of what I've been dealing with these past couple of weeks. Maybe now it will bring some light to someone who passes this way. And here's one of last Spring's lotuses from the water garden.

Here's the chalk my friend, I must be on my way. Send me a photo of what you draw!

Hope you enjoyed our walkabout, Happy New Year from San Diego! We'll continue the adventure another time! Love, bajaboy

8 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Hageltoast said...

It's a beautiful walk. I love your chalking.
Toast (MMB)

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest, let me walk with you. . .

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin,
I have only been to San Diego briefly but, I can tell that you have the power to bring beauty into any place you dwell.

Thank you so much for the delightful journey to your special park and surroundings. I am in awe.

Your quote and chalk drawing INDEED , what a insightful and compassionate quote.

:love: and :light: and
IN JOy Brightest Blessings,
Keep Walking that Miracle,
GypsyOwl

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger The Ten O' Clock Habit said...

I am so visiting you one of these days, Kevin!!! Oh, God, please, PLEASE, give me the power to make this a reality. It would just so be one amazing and fabulous encounter!

Your neighborhood - with the all-year-round BOP blooms - is a Godsend hunbun. Drink it all in, baby! =)

Hey, can you send me one of your gentle artworks via snailmail, sweetie? I would loveloveLOVE it to bits. Promise to give you one of mine, if you want it.

Love always,
Gracielicious

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger B. Lee said...

I remember this post from the MMB...I enjoyed it thoroughly. I wanted to poke my head in and say how much I like the content of your blog. I didn't know that you wrote poetry (i do, too). I also smiled to see more chalk drawings...blessings,
bethany

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very beautiful lovely... had to come back for a 'walkabout' before heading out in the cold and damp.

Love you..

Erin :)

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger maitrilibellule said...

Kevin, I love your blog and have bookmarked it. Henry and I want to adopt you. The whole blog is wonderful but this lotus flower and Kornfeld are both so beautiful. Henry and I are both gay and Buddhists, so your blog will be right up our alley. Henry will answer your post on the board later. He's taking a nap and I'm about to.

Hugs to you angel...

Maitri

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Dee Temple said...

that sIDEwalK chalking~~I LOVE it........it's so FUNfeeling and visceral and big & you get to get all dirty and look important kneeling on the ground~~~ppl. leaning over to see....

When I moved Back to the island I live on, I started doing chalking with some of my kid-friends or just with Me. Of Huge Angels in pioneer white cotton nighties and wooly socks and WINgs*** and stars and Moons in diff. plcs on their Bodies.
I LOVE this.
It's so FUN and temp. and that's the beauty of it to me!!!
Beauty, Kevin.

delia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home